Have these completed and turned in by 9/22 at 11:59 PM. Remember, it's supposed to be your 20 best writings from all of the Bell Works we have completed. Below I will include every Bell Work assigned so far and some additional ones to ensure that you can reach 20.
Remember, these should all be half of a page and hand written.
On a sheet of paper properly headed, answer the following:
Do you feel your grade in English last year accurately reflected how much your knowledge base grew?
Were you happy with your growth in English last year?
If you answered yes to question 2, what did you do that made you successful in English class last year?
If you answered no to question 2, what did you do that kept you from being successful?
What grade would you like to have at the end of this semester?
Why do you want this grade?
Have you achieved this grade before?
If you answered “yes” to question 3, what positive habits are you going to continue to help you reach this goal?
If you answered “no” to question 3, list two positive habits you are going to commit to now in order to reach your grade goal.
How will a good grade in this class help you in the future?
In which areas do you most want to see personal improvement (expand your vocabulary, eliminate grammar mistakes, become a better speller, become a stronger reader, improve my public speaking skills, etc.)?
- What, in your opinion, makes somebody a "hero" to other people?
- Explain thoroughly.
- Who is your personal idol/hero/role model?
- Write about how you came to know/know of this hero of yours.
- What made/makes them so great?
- What are some things that all of us could learn from that person?
Think of a time where proper planning has made the difference between success and disaster.
Explain how you typically plan for important events in your life.
Have you been effective in doing so or has it failed you?
Reflect on the process.
Should college athletes get paid?
Argue/justify your point thoroughly.
Should monuments of southern generals, from the Civil War, be torn down and replaced?
If so, then what should they be replaced with?
If not, then what is the significance of having such statues?
What is your life goal?
What career are you working towards?
What are some things you could/should be doing to make that goal a reality?
Delve deep into each question and make sure you're always answering "why" for each answer you give.
So, for example, if you want to be a doctor, explain why you would want to be a doctor and the importance of that career.
What are you afraid of the most?
Explain when and why you started fearing what you fear.
What are some things that you could do to overcome this fear?
What is something that typically scares others but doesn't bother you? Explain why it doesn't phase you.
Why are deadlines so important?
What are some of the typical excuses for work not being turned in on time?
Explain why some employees or students believe they can turn in, or complete, their work whenever they feel like it.
Tell us who you believe is the greatest band or musician of all time?
Explain why that band or musician is superior to all others.
How did you first hear about the band or musician?
What does their music mean to you?
What are the best qualities about Arnold High School?
What are some of the worst?
How can students work together to help improve some of the issues that the school may have?
Explain a detailed plan to drastically improve our school.
Share your thoughts on how the internet helps bring "hunches" / ideas to life.
How can the internet be used as a valuable tool for entrepreneurs?
Describe the benefits that this generation has now that previous generations didn't and how those different things can be used.
Compare and contrast your classroom with that of your grandparents.
What parts of school might have been easier back then?
What parts of school might have been more difficult?
Which time period would you choose to live in, and why?
Draw a picture, or group of pictures, that represents you in various ways.
Write a half-page description about how the drawing(s) symbolize different aspects of your life and personality.
15-18. Write two sentences for each of the following words. Connect all of the sentences together to create a coherent story. Underline the "key word" that is being used in each sentence. These sentences do NOT have to be in any particular order. Also, using two of the words from below in one sentence doesn't count. There must be two sentences dedicated to every word for a total of 40 sentences. This Bell Work counts as 4 in regards to the 20 Bell Works summative grade.
19-20. Write a full page explaining your favorite hobby, sport, or job. This should be written as if the person reading it knows absolutely nothing about the topic. For example, if you're writing about Football then you can't simply put, "the goal is to score touchdowns and not let the other team score." Because then this clueless reader would be left wondering what a "touchdown" is and why it matters. This Bell Work counts for 2 in the summative grade.
21. Explain what you believe the perfect school year would look like [this is a speed writing challenge with a timer set for 10 minutes].
- When should the school year start? Explain why.
- When should the school year end? Explain why.
- What holidays would you observe and what types of breaks would you take?
- What would your school hours be? Explain these logically.
- Finally, for fun, what would your school mascot be? Draw the mascot if there is time remaining.
22. The following sports are recognized but aren't sanctioned by the FHSAA (meaning that there isn't an official state championship for the sport). Which of these sports would you like to see Arnold High School adopt?
- Competitive Cheerleading
- Flag Football (Girls)
- Volleyball (Boys)
- Water Polo
23. Schools could offer higher quality lunches if there weren't so many students using the free and reduced lunch programs.
- Do you believe that there should be more regulation on who gets to use this program?
- Would you rather have better meals for a higher cost?
- Why should schools be responsible to shoulder the costs of food for students?
24. What's the worst movie of all time? Explain what makes it so terrible. Rant about the movie in your writing and tell us why no one should ever waste their time watching said movie.
25. If you were a teacher, what would you teach? How would you do things differently than the teachers that you have witnessed before? Explain what your goal would be as a teacher.
26. Should states be able to drug test citizens applying for welfare or other social programs? Why or why not?
27. Should teachers be allowed to have a concealed weapon in class? Why or why not?
28. What's your favorite type of writing to do in English class? Explain why you enjoy that style or genre so much.
29. What is your least favorite type of writing to do in English class? Explain why you hate that style or genre so much.
30. If you could be famous for anything, what would it be? Explain why you made that choice and the benefits/downfalls of being such a celebrity.